To Da Front with Mitch – 10/1/13

To Da Front – 10/1/13

    We didn’t have any real good footage of the gauntlet called the Roadrunner race at Star from Saturday, but there is video of the nights events posted by David McGuire.  Also, due to the nights events, we chose to opt out of running Hudson on Sunday.

NEMST Heat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNyGnf7hW5w

Roadrunner Feature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSes9rjWIKI

    In round one of practice, smoke was spotted steaming out from our control panel.  After going out for a tight round of practice, we inspected all the connections and noticed nothing of a concern.  This issue didn’t return to us until the NEMST race later that night.

    During the Roadrunner heat, the car still wasn’t dialed in.  And while riding around in the top groove out of turn 2, our left rear got hooked by trouble-maker of the night, Seth Stickney.  He revisited several other drivers in his constant pursuit to either plow through people, or to be in the way.

    In NEMST heat action, while being passed by a 2 car pack of the 48 and the 90, the 90 had lost a tire, and our left rear had stopped him from some potentially severe wall contact.  This contact had bent our rear end again, but the car started handling well.  It’s a team decision to save this spindle and use it on our next visit to the quarter miler.

    Not having a spare spindle to replace it with, we decided to just go on with it bent.  Well that deemed to be the perfect call because the car hadn’t handled better all night. We started 11th and survived the constant abuse from the back bumper of people who are trying to win on lap 8.  On one particular restart, the car in front didn’t quite get up to speed, and impatience struck again as we got turned into the inside car and got clobbered in the door, losing a good sized portion of the panel.  All in all, we had a good race and ended up 5th in the first segment.  Fog had rolled in and cut the night short.

Some of the wounds at Star, missing door and a bent LR. Photo by Mitch

Some of the wounds at Star, missing door and a bent LR. Photo by Mitch

    After making repairs and rolling out for the tour race that followed, we made it into turn 1 on the warm-up lap when the car decided to die.  Pushed into the pits we immediately found it to be an electrical issue, and the connector on the switch from earlier had broken off the back.  Trying our hardest to get it repaired so we could finish, we ended up making it out on lap 28 of 50.  No chance in advancing position, but we will not accept a DNF.

    Pit Crew of the night award has to go to our main man “Beak” for risking his phones life after the switch repair; it had ended up in the grass above turns 1 & 2, unharmed.

    Up next:  Finale weekend!  We’ll be at Waterford Saturday and Sunday with father Terry Bombard in the X-Car event Saturday, and Mitch running with the Mini Stocks on Sunday.

**Andover Used Auto Parts, Biggins’ Auto Repair, Connor Dotay Music, Jett Fabrication, Lucky Strike Lanes, Team 510 Racing, Thirty Marketing, VFW Post 1724 Willimantic, Z Best Pizza**

    Mitch Bombard, driver of the #10CT X-Car, Enduro, and 97CT NEMST Car,  is the writer of the weekly recaps, and expresses the views of his own from his viewpoint behind the wheel, and after watching video (if available).


Comments Closed